Daily To Do’s: Perform Pre-Operation Inspections on Genie® MEWPs
A pre-operation inspection is a visual inspection of a mobile elevating work platform (MEWP) performed by the operator prior to each work shift. The inspection is designed to discover if anything is apparently wrong with a machine before it is put into service.
A best practice for safe work at height is for the MEWP operator to follow the step-by-step instructions listed in the manufacturer’s supplied operator’s manual to complete the pre-operation inspection prior to start-up of each shift. For example, Genie operator’s manuals contain specific, detailed instructions on what tasks to perform, as well as how to perform the tasks.
Below is an example of a pre-operation inspection check list that Genie recommends its MEWP operators perform:
- Be sure that the operator’s and safety manuals are complete, legible and in the storage container located in the platform.
- Be sure that all decals are legible and in place. See the “Inspections” section of the operator’s manual for guidance.
- Check for hydraulic oil leaks and proper oil level. Add oil if needed. See the “Maintenance” section of the operator’s manual for guidance.
- Check for battery/engine fluid/oil leaks and proper fluid level. See the “Maintenance” section of the operator’s manual for guidance.
- Check for engine coolant leaks and proper level of coolant. Add coolant if needed. See the “Maintenance” section of the operator’s manual for guidance.
- Check the following components or areas for damage, improperly installed or missing parts and unauthorized modifications:
- Electrical components, wiring and electrical cables
- Hydraulic hoses, fittings, cylinders and manifolds
- Fuel and hydraulic tanks
- Drive motors/turntable motors and drive hubs
- Wear pads
- Tires and wheels
- Engine and related components
- Battery pack and connections
- Limit switches, alarms and horn
- Alarms, beacons, and lights (if equipped)
- Pins, nuts, bolts and other fasteners
- Brake release components
- Safety arm (Genie® GS™ Scissor Lifts)
- Scissor pins and retaining fasteners
- Platform control joystick
- Outrigger housing and footpads (if equipped)
- Ground strap (All Genie® electric MEWPs)
- Platform entry mid-rail or gate
- Platform extension (Genie® GS™ Scissor Lifts and GR™ Runabouts)
- Platform overload components
- Pothole guards (Genie® GS™ Scissor Lifts and GR™ Runabouts)
- Lanyard anchorage points
- Check entire machine for:
- Cracks in welds or structural components
- Dents or damage to machine
- Excessive rust, corrosion or oxidation
- Be sure that all structural and other critical components are present and all associated fasteners and pins are in place and properly tightened.
- Be sure side rails are installed and bolts are fastened (Genie® GS™ Scissor Lifts)
- Be sure that the chassis trays are closed and latched and the batteries are properly connected. (Genie® GS™ Scissor Lifts)
- After you complete your inspection, be sure that all guards, screens and compartment covers are in place and latched
Operators should always read the MEWP’s operator’s manual, provided by the equipment manufacturer, to learn more on how to perform these tests. It is important that operators always use the appropriate operator’s manual for the MEWP they are inspecting.
We help you to get additional services related to the use of Mobile elevating work platforms (MEWPs). We assist you to find the right servicing and equipment! We also look into after-sale too. And that’s why we have a comprehensive parts and accessories department from nuts to engines.
We carry different brands, models, and years for the equipment. The equipment is of various years and models and can be refurbished inside-out to look and work as good as new. We provide quality parts and accessories that meet industrial safety standards.
Call +65 6861 6361 or Email firstname.lastname@example.org If you have any questions or concerns, don’t hesitate to talk to our friendly salesperson. He can certainly help you find the right equipment to meet your budget and job requirements.